You were really warm with us, and you might know that sometimes there's some prejudice towards Americans, the idea that they are arrogant is often heard. But you gave a beautiful example of how we must value the people and see them as equals when we are open to know each other and learn. Thanks for your big and little gestures, you won't be forgotten easily. - Erica Carignano


I'm even happier than before you came because the experience really met my expectations and was even more and better. Thank you very much for choosing my country, my town and my school to stay. Let's keep in touch! - Anahi Segura

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Meet Anahi Segura

Anahi Segura is married to Alberto and is the mother of three children, Pedro, Lucia, and Laura. The girls attend Cordoba University - the oldest university in Argentina. Anahi teaches at two schools, Instituto Paula Albarracin de Sarmiento and Insituto Juan Zorilla de San Martin. These schools are a combination of public and private. Again, I was kept very busy moving between the two schools to deliver lessons, observe and share with students in levels 1-6 (a combination of middle and high school). I also delivered a seminar to student teachers at the San Martin school one evening. Anahi arranged for me to visit a third school, Instituto Secundario The New Millenium. This is a new, private school that serves a priviledged group of students who were very sophisticated and well-traveled.

Anahi was a most attentive hostess; she found a luxurious hotel for me to stay in, near her home and her schools. She was travel guide, hostess, interpreter, chauffeur, and friend. I enjoyed meals in her home with her wonderful family, and several "field trips". Her family took me into the countryside for a day trip to Estancia Santa Catalina (1622) - a Jesuit church and settlement and Estancia De Caroya (1616) - another Jesuit mission that served as a hostel for travelers. We toured the University of Cordoba and many historic buildings in the center of this vibrant city. The hospitality I enjoyed in Argentina was incredible, and my two hosts made me as comfortable and as welcomed as I could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment